Thursday 17 March 2016

Hey,What's the big idea!

'Ok, so what exactly are you doing?" That's the question on everybody's lips. At first, I didn't want to talk about it. How do I explain to them that it wasn't one of those my usual quick-fix "diets" How do I begin to tell them about "Ketosis" "Induction Flu" etc. Now i'm ready to live my truth. Here goes!

Going on Low Carb High Fat diet is all about restricting oneself to just 20g of Carbohydrate daily while increasing the intake of "good" fats. We were all taught from primary school that Carbohydrate is an energy giving food. So we eat Carbs for energy but most of our Naija food are loaded with so much Carbs that our body gets excess which later turn into humongous tummies, well padded rotunda bums aka Nyashes, extra flabby arms etc. Now going low on Carbs means our body won't see Carbs as it used to but because it still needs to energy, it would switch to an alternative source of energy which is stored fat. Yes, Fat is also a source of energy albeit it burns slower than Carbs. By burning fat, our bodies have successfully undergone what is called "Ketosis"

Let me try and sound a bit more scientific lol, according to www.medicalnewstoday.com Ketosis is a metabolic process that occurs when the body doesn't have enough glucose for energy. Stored fats are broken down for energy, resulting in a build-up of Ketones within the body.

To maximize ketosis, it's important to do the following, avoid carbs, reduce your stress and sleep very well, avoid eating fruits and anything with artificial sweeteners, reduce your intake of nuts and dairy products, measure your progress regularly, eat "good" fat well. I'm sure a lot of people will be wondering what "good" fats are, hold your horses Sweeties, one step at a time. For as long as body is in ketosis fats are being melted. You just see yourself losing those embarrassing extra flesh. It's amazing!

As much I'm trying to make it sound easy, it isn't a walk in the park. As your body struggles to adapt to fat, you will be hit by symptoms of Carbohydrate withdrawal known as Induction Flu. Going through the dreaded flu I felt several times that I was going break into pieces. Symptoms ranges from headache/ Foggy brain to nausea. Good news is that it's usually between day 2-4, mine lasted just for just a day though. It can also be supressed with a glass of salt water.

Ok folks,that's all for today. Ask me any questions on Low Carb diet and I will try my best to answer.

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am on the diet,day 7 Bt my 3 days egg fast wasn't a good one, I even cheated on coconut and chin chin but in small portion, should I start all over or I should continue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am on the diet,day 7 Bt my 3 days egg fast wasn't a good one, I even cheated on coconut and chin chin but in small portion, should I start all over or I should continue

    ReplyDelete